Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Fireworks Technician

I don't think that I've ever stopped to think during a fireworks display about who took the time to pick out the colors, shapes, and combinations in the sky. Granted, I think about fireworks maybe twice a year. But that is someone's job, isn't it? To put together the displays? To think about the occasion, then put together something that'll dazzle the masses? Now thinking about it, it could be kind of fun. I am personally a huge fan of the sparkly white fireworks that look like fairy dust. If the fireworks show was up to me, I'd just do a half hour of fairy dust. People would hate me, but I'd be over the moon. Maybe it's good that I'm not in charge. Let's take a look at the people who actually have the expertise and creative talent to put this together:


Annual Salary: simplyhired.com says that fireworks technicians make an average salary of $49,000 a year. This apparently depends on company, location, industry, experience, and benefits. Keep in mind that I have no idea if simplyhired.com is a legitimate website. In fact, further searches show that you get about $500-$1,000 per show... So that's 49 shows a year if you're getting paid top dollar, which averages out to about a show a week. I don't know simplyhired.com, I just don't know.


Perks: I mean, you put on fireworks shows. That's pretty cool. QED. You're licensed to deal with gun powder. You have a great answer at parties to the whole, "what do you do?" question.


Disadvantages: It's dangerous!!! All you fireworks technicians out there, be safe! Also you probably have high premiums on your insurance costs, and you're going to be perpetually dissatisfied with the local neighborhood fireworks displays.


A Query: This whole thing makes me wonder, how much of a need is there for fireworks technicians? I mean, July 4th, New Year's Eve.... and if you're the guy who works every night for Disneyland, you've pretty much hit the fireworks career jackpot.  I know that one of my brothers had fireworks at his Bar Mitzvah... but it was a family friend who is a pyrotechnician on the side. Hm.

2 comments:

  1. Such a fun idea! Those shows actually take a ton of skill and lots and lots of careful planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a fireworks technician in Texas. I work full time at a small company, and believe it or not, we are busy ALL YEAR! Not only do we do 4th of July displays (which is like our superbowl), but there is also NYE (as you mentioned), Christmas Tree lighting ceremonies, Sporting events, weddings (you'd be surprised), corporate celebrations... You name it! A common misconception is that a company would put on one 4th of July show a year, but even as a small company, we did 28 4th of July shows in 2013. The pay is very dependent on where you work. I can tell you that during 4th of July, the minimum price for a show is around $10,000 or $2,000 per minute. Many shows approach or exceed $20,000. The normal fee for a show (outside of 4th of July season) is $4,000 minimum, or $1,000 per minute. Of course all that money doesn't go straight to Yours Truly, but I can tell you that you can make a comfortable living this way, and contrary to what you might think, my insurance premiums have not gone up ;).
    It is very interesting how the shows are designed. There are specialized computer programs for this, which allow you to choose exactly what you want and where - down to the fraction of a second. Many of our shows are choreographed to the music - also known as Pyromusicals. VERY popular around Christmas! We also do fireworks indoors and from rooftops. It's a very fun and rewarding career. Every day is different!

    ReplyDelete